Help for Cable customers
- Help home
- Broadband and Internet
- Virgin Mobile
- Billing and Payments
- Thinking of joining us
- Just joined or upgraded
How to check the IP address on Windows XP
The Internet Protocol (IP) is the method by which data is sent from one computer to another across the Internet. Each device that communicates over the Internet is assigned an IP address that uniquely identifies it, and distinguishes it from other devices on the Internet. Your computer has an IP address, as does every other computer on the Internet.
This section tells you how to check your IP address on a Windows XP PC to make sure that you’re recognised as a Virgin Media customer, and can communicate over the Internet.
To check your IP address use the Windows XP LAN status tool. To do this:
1. On the desktop, click on Start and then click on Control Panel.
2. Double-click on Network and Internet Connections.
3. Double-click on Network Connections.
4. Identify your Local Area Connection, or your Wireless Connection if you're using wireless, and double click on it.
The Connection Status window opens.
5. Click on the Support tab. The IP address assigned to your computer is clearly labelled.
Make a note of the first number in the address (before the first full stop), which will have either two or three figures. Now check to see if you have a valid IP address:
- If the first number in the address is 192 or 10, it looks like you're using a router. Is that right?
- Yes, I'm connected over wireless on a modem/router setup. Check out our How do I troubleshoot my wireless connection article.
- Yes, I'm connected over wireless on a Virgin Media Hub. Check out our Troubleshooting the Virgin Media Hub article.
- Yes, I'm connected via Ethernet cable to a router or the Virgin Media Hub. Please call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone, or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.
- No, I'm not using a router or the Virgin Media Hub. Make sure your computer is set up to obtain an IP address automatically. If you still can't connect after doing this, please call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone, or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.
- If the first number in the address is 169, you may have a faulty cable. If you can, try another cable of the same type.
If you still can't connect, or don't have another cable, please call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone, or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.
- If you can't find an IP address, or have an IP address of 0.0.0.0, please call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone, or 0845 454 1111 from any other line.
- If the first number in the address is something other than those listed above, for example 62, 80 or 195, then this IP address should enable you to connect to the Internet.
Note:If you have a security program other than Virgin Media Security, you'll need to check the documentation that came with your software, and check that your browser is not being blocked by the security settings.